View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
China
Yorkie Talker

Default What could this be!!

This morning Jac was fine. I let him out for the morning run and he seems happy and energetic as he could be. He usually spends the night in the pet room and it is geared to my small dogs. I have another male and 3 female yorkies all are healthy as can be.
While Jac was outside my husband and I were out with him and our 7 year old Boston Female, which is a spay pet and is as docile as can be.
I notice Jac's back was hunched up and he was going towards Jezzie (the Boston) and I thought he was going to bite her which he often does so I called to him and he tried to turn around. When he did he fell over and was struggling to get up. He got up and I noticed that his back legs were stiff and he was walking unusual. I went over picked him up and started to examine him to see if he had something stuck somewhere or if he was suffering an injury I didn't see easily.
Nothing was unuasul as far as bite marks, ruffeled fur and he didn't have any kind of unuasul smell on him that I would think he had drank or eaten something he shouldn't have. He didn't seem to be in any pain as I pressed and pulled around on him nor did he resist my handling him.
Within a matter of a few minutes he could barley walk and could not sit down without fallin over and struggling to get back up..
I called my vet immediatly and got an array of could be's but without a proper exam he just could say for sure. He had an out of town meeting at 1pm or he could have waited for me since they close at noon on Saturday. He said if he should get back in town earlier he would call but in the mean time
he suggested I called both emergency vets in town which I did and both the regular Vets are out for the day. One just had an exray tech and a assistant veternarian and were packed to the hilt today and couldn't do much and the other is a vet that needs more training than she has time to get. Arrogant rude and just a real pain to deal with so I will try the other tomorrow and see if we can get in.
My Vet seems to think he could have jumped off the couch or chair and landed wrong injuring himself. He felt this could have happened earlier and the swelling had progressed far enough to produce the results we see now. Dog's don't know what pain is so they keep going until they just can't. He dosn't think it is genetic since it came on so quickly and most nerulogical problems of that nature will spring over time not in minutes. Unless I have overlooked a bite somewhere and even at that he couldn't come up with something that would have that result. He told me to give him a pain med which I had some left over from a previous tooth extration on another dog so that was good, and something for inflamation and I had that as well.
I checked for poison, plants or anything that could have been thrown over the fence and I don't see anything of that nature he could have ingested.
I have not sprayed anything in the yard or in the house that he would have had this kind of reaction to. Nothing bad as far as cleaning supplies have been use recently that he could have gotting into.
None of the other dogs have any symptoms I have discribed and they are all happy and running around jumping like little springs.
As for now he seems to have stablized, still can't walk or get around on his own. He is still eating, drinking water and dosn't have loose stool or vomiting.
So here we are until Monday, for better or worse we will have a long weekend unless my vet gets back in town earlier than expected and gives me a call, otherwise hopefully Monday morning will see a better Jac.
Let me know what you think and if you have had any problems like this before.

Thanks for your time.

China
China is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!