View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
ArataCPA
Yorkie Talker

Default Why does my Yorkie act this way with my son?

Hello everyone,

Mr. B, our 5 month old pup (my first dog and Yorkie), has been with us for about a month and has adapted wonderfully. He has some issues (finnicky eater, potty training, barking), but they are all getting progressively better. The only thing that bothers me is that he treats my son, who is 12 years old, kinda mean.

Whenever Kori (my 12 year old son) moves, even if he is in a different room, Mr. B knows it and barks like crazy. Then when my son comes to pet him, he backs up with his ears back and tail tucked. He doesn't do this to me and my husband. He also growls and barks when Kori comes downstairs. My son feels like the dog doesn't like him, and I'm beginning to think it is true.

My husband grew up with dogs, and he said that Mr. B can sense that Kori is the youngest of us, and he is exerting dominance . . . but that doesn't make sense because he backs up like he is fearful when my son comes to pet him.

Kori has never hurt Mr. B (I'm always around when they interact) and he wants the dog to love him desparately, just like Mr. B has grown to love my husband and I. I try to give Kori and Mr. B plenty of bonding time, but Mr. B is just not having it . . . if me and my husband are around, he avoids Kori like the plague and sits with one of us.

I want us all to be one big happy family, but my son now feels left out. Has anyone else ever encountered this?

Thank you in advance for your comments .
ArataCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!