View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #10
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

A Runny nose is a symptom that should never be ignored in young pups or older dogs. It may not be anything yet, but these things can turn so quickly, and rapid response is so necessary to save a life. Pets are vaccinated for some of the worst illnesses out there, but there's a whole slew of viruses and bacterias out there that our pets are not protected against, and can be deadly.

My Peek a Boo was put on the wrong AB initially, early on in his treatment. In less than 2 days, his tongue was turning purple from lack of oxygen, and his breathing was very shallow. Thank God I caught it in time and was able to stimulate him enough to turn his tongue pink again. If I had missed that sign, he would have died in his bed. (I thought he was sleeping, but decided to check his gum color anyway). When I took his temp and it was 105.6, I knew he needed to be seen right away. If I hadn't discovered his fever, I never would have realized how close to death he was. I've been a Vet Tech for 20+ years and I feel even with all my experience, I still came way too close to losing him forever.

Never, never, never ignore a runny nose. Watch them like a hawk, and if there is no improvement in 24 hours, get back to the vet not asap, but right away.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!