View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Javathon
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePiper View Post
My Piper just had hip surgery for Legg Perthes Disease 5 months ago. In the x-ray you could see bone fragments and the ball of the femur was cracked and pitted. The surgeon removed the ball of the femur and the liagaments were attached to the top of the bone and the sides and this pulls the bone back into the hip socket. Scar tissue forms and creates a false hip socket and through exercise the liagaments and muscles develope and holds the bone in the socket. When I first brought Piper home she carried her leg for a couple weeks and slowly she started to put weight on the foot. Before you knew it she was using the leg for a few steps. Now Piper uses the leg all the time and never carries her leg. We take 3 mile walks every day and she can run like the wind. I was told the surgery would be $1200-$1600 depending on how involved it got. I ended up paying $900 and I felt I was getting a good deal. I was fortunate that my breeder also gave me money towards the surgery.
I called my Vet so he could remind me what the surgery was. He said the same thing you wrote. He also added that it would be 1,000.

Has any one done the fake hip socket? Like humans have put in.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!