View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
RoxyLuv
Donating YT 500 Club Member

1. Don't give him any people food from the table. Ignore him while you are eating or remove him from the table area. Any people food he gets is placed in his bowl, but only little bits. It's easy to unbalance their diets.

2. Don't be afraid to be strict. A strong 'ah ah' 'leave it', etc when misbehaving. You can say it strong without yelling, but you have to mean it.

3. When Roxy's been totally out of control (at about the same age), I've pinned Roxy to the floor by holding her on her side. One hand directly under her jaw so she can't bite me, other hand across her crotch area. At no time did I inflict any pain on her. Held her there until she was calm for at least 20 seconds, then just slowly release. Repeat as needed. I've only had to do that maybe 3-4 times. It made a big difference & straightened up her attitude.

4. What helped me most with biting, was to make a fist and not move it at all. Usually my fist was right in front of her face. No fingers there to grab onto. Tell him 'no bite' strongly looking him directly in the eye. Repeat if he makes any move toward your hand at all. Roxy would just sit there looking very confused & usually give it up. She still needs reminders now & then, but I don't let her get away with it. The need to bite & chew is normal due to teething, but biting people is never acceptable. Give him an ice cube now & then. Will feel good on his painful gums. I also sidetrack her a lot by tossing a toy out for her to chew on.

5. Like other user said, get him used to being touched all over & offer him a little treat when he's doing good at it.

Puppyhood is a LOT of work & you have to be consistant for as long as it takes. Roxy is almost 7 mo & doing very well now. I'm exhausted, but my hard work is paying off now. She is such a joy! Good luck & don't give up.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!