View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
Sebastian Bach
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019

I have an 18-month-old and a 3 year-old, both of my children have been around dogs since they were born. I just recently adopted an 8-pound 1-1/2 year yorkie boy that was raised with small children (about the ages of my kids). We have had him for about a month now, and he is doing great fitting in with my family, but I am always very cautious and even though both of my kids now how to handle him and use "gentle touches" they are never left alone with Sebestian (or any other dog for that matter).

I think that for a 5-year-old it might be better to get a slightly older/larger yorkie dog or even a studier bigger breed. I actually never meant to get a yorkie because I know that the smaller breeds aren't really great for small children, but this dog kinda fell into our laps and fit our family needs perfectly.

I actually do think that is wonderful to have a dog in the house with younger children, but I think you need to stop thinking about getting your daughter a dog...and buying a family dog with you as the owner. It may just be an oversight of symantics, but obviously a 5-year-old can't handle having a puppy to herself, look at all the post on here of grown women (and men), who come on here looking for help with different issues. I would think that both the dog and your daughter would need to realize that you were the owner and main caregiver.
Sebastian Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!