View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Nikki+2
I heart Sugar
Donating Member

Default Storm phobia- surprise remedy

Spike has terrible storm phobias. Before I even know rain is coming, he starts shaking violently and panting wildly. When he is like this he is so upset he isn't even tempted by chicken or other treats. To complicate matters, Spike's body handles sedatives as stimulants. I once tried Benadryl and it made him super hyper though no less afraid. The vet prescribed Valium and he went so crazy we had to lock him in his stroller to keep him from hurting himself. He was completely uncontrollable but had zero coordination. The closest thing we've come to finding something that helped is Rescue Remedy. It seemed to help a lot at first but ended up just slightly taking the edge off. It seems that for many dogs, the storm phobia comes from the static in the air before and during a storm. I've read that rubbing a dog down with a dryer sheet helps a lot but everything else I read about them is about how toxic they are so i haven't tried it.

We've been in a drought all winter but our daily storms have started. A few days ago I was researching 'storm coats' that seem to help a lot of dogs. I came across a tip that many dogs are helped just by wearing a tee shirt. We tried it and.... It works!!!!

We have had success with this 2 days in a row. When he starts shaking, we put a shirt on him and, poof! No more shaking, no panting- he can even be enticed to play. I can't believe such a simple thing could make such a difference. Just wanted to pass it along in case it might work for someone else.

Last edited by Nikki+2; 05-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Nikki+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!