View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyReese View Post
I didn't imply Reese is trained because she knows some commands. I posted that so any imput I"d be given would know that she already knows those commands. We've tried the ignoring thing. Itell people when they arrive to not make any eye contact with her and ignore her until she calms down. It worked for a short while but now it just doesn't stop her from misbehaving. We walk her twice a day. And she spends a lot of time outside with my 3 year old son who definitely keeps her busy and tends to play with her until she's tired... and he'll be playing outside with her, and she's panting and tired, but if someone knocks at the door or rings the doorbell she gets a sudden burst of energy and just keeps up the behavior.

We DO notice that after about 15 minutes of being exposed to the new "visitors" she calms down and doesn't seem to be as interested in wanting their attention.

I will try the doorbell/knocking trick though. Very good idea! I put her in the stay position when we have guests arrive but she inches closer and closer to the door no matter how many times I remind her to stay, until she's finally at their feet and then she's back to hopping and jumping. I can say "Stay" or "Sit" and she does it for a few seconds then is back into her old ways.

I'll definitely try getting her immune to the doorbell and knocking. My 3 year odl would have a blast helping wit hthis.

ALSO, we notice she even does this behavior when my husband gets home from work in the evenings. Same behavior! He completely ignores her until she calms down and it seems to work when he does it,but with new houseguests, and doesn't care. She'll literally jump totheir waist-level so they HAVE to say something. It's very frustrating but i'll use the advice and see what happens!
I'm sorry if you took my comment about that offensively, I didn't mean it like that! Maybe I worded wrong because it's GREAT that she already knows the stay and sit, etc commands so that's a wonderful start. That way, you've got that out of the way, now you just have to re-enforce it I know Yorkies can be stubborn little things but as I said, she's young! It's also probably a large part of her just being a puppy. A lot of times when dogs hit that one year mark, a lot of things change. Has she been spayed? I know with male dogs, neutering is supposed to calm them down a bit and I believe the same is said with females but I think it can all depend on the dog. My dad's female took a few months after her spay to calm down but I also think part of it was age.

The show "It's Me or the Dog" with Victoria Stillwell has loads of episodes on dogs that sound just yours. They're just SO excited! She actually had a Boxer on a few days ago when I watched and he acted exactly like your dog. Imagine a BOXER jumping up and down on your guests and couches all day! As well as the Dog Whisperer. I really like Cesar Millan and his philosophies on staying calm and assertive. Watch a few episodes of one of those shows and you will learn a lot!

Last edited by Britster; 05-18-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!