Thread: Hydrocephalus
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
jrsygal37
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I'm sorry about your baby. I'm not sure I know a lot about the condition but I did lose my 17 month old to a brain abnormalty. We got Jersey at 10 weeks of age and from the get go she was a strange/different pup then any other we've ever had. It appeared neurological to me yet the vet told us she was fine and it may just be her personality. I tried to dismiss what my heart kept telling me and chalk it up to socialization and the home she came from. She would not eat like the others. She would eat fast and hide. Always by herself hiding, and her eyes looked different, almost distant. Weird ways she would act. I can't tell you how many times we had her to the vet. We had her spayed at around six months of age. She did fine with that. Around 14 - 15 months old she started becoming aggressive. It appeared to have happened over night but as I look back at pictures I noticed a real difference even more so then before in her eyes. Anyway, she started attacking and again we had her to the vet who then told us that as she matured she probably decided she did not like other dogs. At one point we decided (Although a very hard decision) to try and rehome her with someone without other animals. We listed her here on YT but still my gut kept telling me there was more to this. About a week in we decided not to rehome her and to take her to another vet. He diagnosed her with a brain abnormalty. Her catscan showed something abnormal. A brain tumor or he said it could be something organic and that she probably also had a liver shunt. He said we could go through $5,000 and still not be able to cure her and that she would just get sicker. Also, a few days prior to taking her she was running and jumped to play and just flopped to her side, got real still and then started screaming. We believe she was starting with seizurs as well. Anyway, my husband and I made the hardest decision to take this baby and have her put down. For months after, I would be awake at night haunted and wondering if we made the right decision. I researched and researched causes etc. and I came across Hydrocephelus and although Jersey was not officially diagnosed with this I believe it was a strong possibility that this is what she had and that she had it from birth but that gone untreated she got worse and that the pressure on her brain probably caused the aggression. I will never know for sure but this is what the symptoms came up with. I read it could have been caused even by trauma at birth. August will be a year she's gone and I am still haunted with whether I made the right decision and whether there was more I could have done for her. I pray for you and for your baby. I know how hard this is on both of you.

Elaine
jrsygal37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!