View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

I agree, but would like to add....

You may want to consider changing some of your own behaviors to help him as he is adjusting to your family. Try not to put him in situations that cause him stress for now, until you get help with training him. Most rescues ended up for adoption because of nippiness or biting/growling involving children. Adoption is great, but the hard part has just begun. You have to be kind and considerate because you don't know his background. If you treat him nice, you get nice back. If your kids play rough, he learns rough is okay. Do not allow any behaviors you don't want to see repeated: growling, showing teeth, barking. It's not okay because he hasn't bitten yet. Find what you need to do to break his attention like saying 'ah,ah; no; hey; sssst'. You must match his level of excitement or 1 over his level to make him stop, and try different sounds till you find what he responds to the quickest. Don't get mad at him, he's just doing what he already knows. Be very consistent ... everytime. Do not hit him or use shock collars or anything like that. Eventually he will learn that nastiness will not be tolerated and you'll see less and less of it.

It took my first rescue 8 months to begin to trust me. He thought that every time he did wrong, he was going to have to leave. So very sad. I made and make a point to tell him everyday that he is a good boy (words I don't think he ever heard) and that there is absolutely nothing he could do that would make me give up on him and that I love him forever. The first day I washed his bed really freaked him out. He went to get in it and it was't there! Trauma!!! I held him till it came out of the dryer and put it back in place. Oh Happy Day!!! He knows english, at least mostly all the 4 letter words and runs and hides when he hears them. You couldn't cough or sneeze around him, he would panic and run. I can't imagine what he went through. He's almost over most stuff (6.5 years later) but I am still careful not to upset him.

My 2nd rescue has issues. I think children played with her relentlessly. She wears me out. She plays rough and is very possessive of her toys. I began trading a different toy or a treat for the one she had. This works but I have to not let her get too exited or she will bite to get me to release the toy. She has learned that when she bites hard people drop things. I wasn't sure how far she would go, she hasn't broken skin yet, but we are now working on 'easy, leave it,and give' commands. I do not allow children to play with her unsupervised, or for very long.

Walking your dog on leash is probably the fastest way to start forming a bond with him/her. They love getting out in the neighborhood with all the new smells and sights and sounds. It helps them to burn off excess energy
and can improve their attitude.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!