View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I must be lucky, LOL. Jackson is not like that for the most part. He definitely has his moments where the Yorkie comes out in him but he truly is a good dog. He sits before he eats, now without me even asking him. He does all sorts of tricks that I taught him and learned them so quick. He potty trained fairly easy considering his breed. He is 7 months old now and while he will still have an accident every once in a while.. it's gotten down to about once a month, if that. 99% of the time, he waits for me to walk in and out the door first. When he does get outside without a leash, he doesn't go far and will usually come when called. If his name calling doesn't work, asking him "Want a treat?" definitely gets him running. He gets along wonderfully with almost every dog he meets, big and small. He lets me put my face right near him while chewing a bone and has never ever growled at a human. He occasionally will growl at the other dogs but most of the time - I don't blame him! LOL. He's never bitten. He's a wonderful leash walker now that I've got the Easy Walk Harness. He walks right next to me, sometimes a bit ahead of me but he truly enjoys just being on a walk with me and sniffing everything. He's become a fantastic car rider and although, I still must pick him up and place him in the car, he sits still while I buckle him in and then the rest of the ride, I see his nose going a mile a minute in the rear-view mirror, sticking straight up in the air. When I take him to my cousin's little league ball games, he simply sits or lays in the grass right next to me until I let him move around a bit. He's always been pretty laid back since I got him.

Some of his Terrier traits... he's an alert dog. If he ears an unusual noise, especially if he was in a deep sleep, he jumps right up from what he was doing and BARKBARKBARK high-pitched. He's gotten very good though after me saying "Enough! Quiet!" where he stops. I usually have to check on things to let him know it's OK and then he settles down. He is weary of strangers and will not let you just come up and pet him unless he's been around you for 20-30 minutes. He warms up faster to women and children then men. For the barking, out of 10... I would say he is probably a 5. He's not obsessive about it most of the time, it's something I can deal with, and 98% of the time will stop when I tell him after he gets a few more barks out. Even though he can be very cuddly and lovey, he's also independent and likes to just go lay by himself sometimes, although usually I wake up every morning to him cuddled up real close to me. When his "sister/brother doggies" (my parents dogs) have something he wants (i.e. a bone) he will just bark at them to try to get his way. Or if he wants to play, he will bark in their face. I'm working on stopping this behavior! He chases and barks at my dad's cats...

Overall, Jackson is seriously a very good dog, in my opinion. Sometimes I can't believe I got so lucky with my over-sized (13lb) 7 month old Yorkie. He's my little boy! Yes, he annoys me at times, but I feel I'm very lucky. He's a great companion and I think we make a good team.

Last edited by Britster; 05-15-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!