View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
daisymae2012
Senior Yorkie Talker

Thumbs up

Hello & welcome to Yorkie Talk!

Training a brand new puppy can be very frustrating. It takes a lot of consistency & patience. You can't expect a puppy to be trained overnight, it takes time. It took me almost 6 weeks to get Daisy totally potty trained to puppy pads and I've read from some on here that it has taken a lot longer than that! You are doing the right thing by taking him to his pad every time he starts to use the bathroom. Every time Daisy would use to start to have an accident, I would pick her up and take her and put her on her pad and tell her to "potty here." Now, if she does have an accident (which is very very seldom), I tell her bad girl and that she needs to go potty where she is supposed to and she will go right to her pad. If he does potty on his pad, be sure to praise him & give him a treat. I also found it easier for me to train Daisy b/c I put her in a doggie play pen while I was gone. This only gave her room for her bed & her puppy pad. I think this helped a lot her knowing to go on her pads b/c most 100% of dogs will not use the bathroom in their bed or crate. A lot of other yorkie talkers crate train and I've heard that is very helpful as well. Please don't give up! It really does take time and they are so much fun!!! He is probably just trying to figure out everything and it takes them a lot of time to adjust to the new surroundings as well! Good Luck!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!