View Single Post
Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
AbbysMom08
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Oh my. I know exactly what you are going through.
About 2 years before I lost my last little yorkie, Kayla, (last July) she developed a large cataract very quickly. My vet referred me to an eye Dr.
She had surgery and it was not successful. I guess one thing was her lens was so much smaller then she expected. So, Kayla had sight in one eye for a short time. Then she slowly developed a cataract in her other eye. She could see very little. So, I had a discussion with her eye Dr. and we could have gone through with another surgery and hope for the best. I decided not to put her through that again. She was 12 years old at that point.
She adapted to her surroundings quite well. It took a little time. We never moved the furniture or put anything new in as she knew her way around. She knew right where her food and water bowls were. She new where the sofa and chair was as she came to one of them when she wanted to get up on it. We did have to watch her like a hawk so she didn't walk off of the sofa or chair. She always slept with me and after she walked off of the bed, I decided to buy her a bed. So she could no longer sleep with me.
I referred to her as my special needs baby. I was of course heart broken to learn she would no longer be able to see. I was in tears. The bond between us became so much stronger (if that is even poss.). She was now totally dependant . She could no longer get on the sofa,or climb up the stairs by herself. All in all though, she did very well.
She was the light of my life and to this day I miss her so very much.
I'm sorry for the length of this post. I didn't mean to ramble.
Please let me know if I can be of any help
AbbysMom08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!