View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
carladean
No Longer a Member

Default question on breeders

I've seen the term "back yard breeders" on here, and was just wondering about it. I know what a puppy mill is, but not clear on back yard breeder.

The breeder I bought Molly from did have the dogs in large runs in the back yard. The runs were clean, with warm dog houses and 2 or 3 dogs in each. Each dog was named, seemed happy and energetic, and would respond to his/her own name.

2 moms and their babies were in a heated outbuilding, with doggy doors to small runs outside. Each area seemed clean. I could tell that dogs were often in the house as well, and I know one sick puppy was in there full-time once she was weaned.

The breeder had a vet for me to get references, and I ended up knowing the grandfather dog (sire's sire?). Molly was sent home with food and instructions, and the breeder was very helpful with tummy issues she had as she was adjusting to her new home.

I'm happy with Molly's health, size and temperment. I've been wanting another, but want to make a wise decision. Does that sound like a back yard breeder?
carladean is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!