View Single Post
Old 05-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

With two dogs, separate them when you are teaching something new. With the help of the clicker, June can 'sit' by 12 weeks and we started training down yesterday.
Remember to keep the sessions short and fun. Praise your dog as well and make sure that the treats are tasty. The better the treats, the harder they work.
If you have a dog that isn't food-motivated, use a toy. He performs the act, you click and give or throw him the toy. Some dogs are better with toys although food is easier.

I don't know how the other poster used the clicker, but just wanted to mention that you should never click to get the dog's attention. Clicking is like taking a snapshot of the right behavior and by clicking when the dog is barking, you are reinforcing that behavior. Again, I am not saying that the other poster did this, it is just a very important thing to know. When Cash is going crazy outside, I just jiggle the clicker and he comes running - knowing that we will do some training and he will get loads of treats. But I never click when he is doing something he isn't supposed to .

If you have trouble with the dog's recall, buy a dog whistle and when you and the dog are in the house, blow on the whistle. If he looks at you (which he most probably will), click and treat. Do this a few times and you will have the best recall ever.

With the clicker training, remember to condition the dog to doing what you ask in a variety of scenarios. It is very important to make the pet used to obeying even if you are in the park or wherever.

Good luck and have fun!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!