View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Nikitta34
YT 500 Club Member

Yikes - this sounds serious. Is the throw up foamy? That means he has nothing in his stomach. If there is any yellow to it, it is bile and means that he REALLY has nothing in his stomach. This same thing happened to Meg when I first brought her home, and I didn't know enough about how quickly hypoglycemia can set in, so I didn't force feed her. She ended up at an emergency vet with a glucose IV in her neck for two nights. She almost died. It is VERY important that you give your pup some sugar to boost his energy levels and ward off a hypo attack. If your pup doesn't have any energy, he won't have the energy to eat. It is a vicious cycle, and it's important that you get some sugar in him asap. Obviously you don't want to just dose your dog full of sugar in an ideal world, but if that is all he will eat, it's what you need to do for a day, week, month, etc, until he's able to eat on his own.

If he won't eat his regular food, give him shredded or cubed boiled chicken, hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, yogurt, and canned dog food. You can also try wetting down his food if you haven't been already. Meg was sent home at 13 weeks with the food she had supposedly been eating, but she only ate wet dog food, chicken, and soft "cookies" (her wet food, baked with cheese) for at least two months. I think the kibble was just too hard for her to eat.

Get yourself some nutrical and give your dog a pea-sized amount. It should be enough sugar to boost his appetite and get him to eat his normal food. If you give him too much nutrical, it will spoil his appetite.

You can also try CliniCare, which you can get at your vet and/or perhaps at a pet speciality store. It is a liquid food that is used when you can't get your dog to eat anything else. The vet put Meg on it while she had the IV since it was liquid and Meg could lap it up easily. It does make the poop very liquidy (since they are consuming liquid only), but it's an option if all else fails.

You can try baby food, but be careful to get a food that does not have onion as an ingredient. Most of the baby meat "stews" I've seen contain onion.

Let me know how he is doing. I am really worried about him.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!