View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
ChewiesMama
Yorkie Talker

Default My first thread/post...my baby is sick.

Hi there. My name is Andrea,I am 22 years old, and I just got my first dog (a yorkie of course). I got him on March 25th 2009 and he was born on January 1st 2009. His name is Chewbacca, but we call him Chewie/Chew and he is the 2nd love of my life, I guess my husband would have to be the first

Here's the background on Chew up to this point:

He came from a refutable breeder in Myakka FL; He came to me with only his first set of Distemper and Parvo and a fecal, no bordetella or anything else done. Keep in mind by the time I got him he was already almost 3 months old. I was planning to take him for his next set on the the 4th of april. However, I noticed him coughing and sneezing a lot so I took him to the Vet on March 31st, and they diagnosed him with Kennel Cough and presribed Hydocane syrup and clavamox antibiotics; Neither of the two helped one bit even after finishing the medicine entirely; So I brought him back to the vet on april 13th, and they then prescribed him Doxycyline. After that was shipped to me from Arizona (another 3 days past with no meds) He started taking that medication and it finished about 5 days ago.

So with his Kennel Cough apparently gone, I set up his appointment to finally get his shots and tea/flick/heartworm meds which was actually supposed to take place today at 6pm. Well that was when my nightmare began...

Last night after observing his perfectly normal/routine eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, and playing behavior. I went to the movies with a friend, and returned home at 11:00 pm to get him and bring him with me to my friends house so that he wouldn't be home alone in his crate. I brought him there and he was playful as normal and having fun with the mixed breed dog named Tessa (she has like 5 different small breeds in her so I dont really know what she is) who is only about 5-10 pounds bigger than him.

I was sitting on the couch in view of the kitchen, when I saw Chewie LAYING on the kitchen floor next to one of his hersey surprises (my crazy husband calls them that) and I walked over to him to pick him up and say "No Poo Inside" when I noticed his face looked strange and he was trembling profusely. His tongue seemed to be stuck between his gums, and his jaw was LOCKED. Also he was drooling instensley, which I mistook for vomit at the time. I then brought him over to the cough and attempted to try and open is mouth slowly myself to see if there was something in it that was making him sick, but to no avail. He also began to poop while in the laying position in my arms which was alarming and disturbing behavior from him. After 5 minutes of trying to figure out what the hell had happened to my baby, who did not move an inch when i placed him on the carpet and walked away... which is totally abnormal for the little mamas boy. I called the vet and my husband and we rushed him to the ER service.

On the way there he threw up quite a bit of what looked like just dog food, and just continued to tremble during the whole ride while I cried as I held him. When we got there they checked his vitals first and after noting he was in stable condition they left us to wait for about an hour because they had a more severe pet emergency taking place at the same time.

Once we were in the room after explaining all of the details of his day and the way the incident occured. The doctor and tech deducted that it appears he had a seizure. Based on the jaw being locked and the gums changing from pink to white, the loss of control of his bowels, and the profuse shaking and trembling.

They recommended that they keep him overnight and attach an IV, catheter, do a fecal, run full In house blood screening, and give him injections for the vomiting. The problem was that they brought me an invoice ranging from $800 -1000 estimate for services which I would have had to pay right then and there. But even if I wanted to, I didnt have the money available. So I asked them to recommend the bare minimum that they thought was absolutely necc. for him to have done THAT night and they took blood samples to send out to a lab, and did a fecal. Those two services plus the ER visit was 260.00.

My worries are the following:

-Could this be due to his not having the proper vaccinations in time? (Parvo, distemper etc)
-Could he have ingested some sort of chemical that cause the convulsion and his current nauseatic and lethargic state?
-Could he have epilepsy, liver problems, or neurological issues that will affect his life permanently?
-Did he ingest a poisonous bug, frog, or spider at some point earlier in the day? In which case, upon swalling a poison, how long does it take for a dog to show signs of toxic distress?

Right now hes just laying around without any of his usual energy. He sounds like hes trying to whimper but he can't. I tried giving him some food, he wont even look at it. I tried giving him his beloved nutri-cal and he took just 1 lick and turned away. He is not really sleeping, but his eyes are constantly half open/half closed. I am really depressed and worried and want to take him to get all the necc. treatment but because the office requires full payment on the spot I just cant afford it right now.

I'm not really looking for diagnosis as I know thats impossible to do over the internet. But I'm just looking to hear about any similar experiences or personal knowledge you may have regarding any of the details I described above. Just for peace of mind really, and so that I can become more knowledgeable on my Yorkie's health.

Please help.
ChewiesMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!