View Single Post
Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #13
BenjiBoo
Yorkie Talker

Star So far it's worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatajay View Post
Hi all,

I am thinking about taking my 3 months old yorkie to attend training classes. Which classes would you recommend? Also which is better, petsmart or petco?

Thanks!

Hey all, this is my first post! I have a 4 month old Yorkie and he is in his 2nd week of Petsmart training. I would like to say that it does not matter where you go, I believe it depends on the trainer. Benji's trainer has over 15 years of experience and is recognized all over the area. Some trainers are more experienced than others; some may also fit your training "style". At first I wasn't going to put Benji in training because I have already taught him sit, stay, down, and come. However, Benji has began the "small dog barking" and he barks at random strangers and dogs (I believe out of fear or curiosity). This is where the class becomes most helpful because it helps with socialization. In his training class he is able to interact with both puppies and humans. So far, they have learned SIT, LEAVE IT (sooo important!), and STAY. He is doing really well and LOVES going to class to see his friends! Also, besides learning simple commands, the trainer also gives you tons of tips and answers any and all of your questions. The trainer also tells you how you are at handling your dog. For example, she told one couple that their tiny poodle was "in control of them". They were really surprised and she gave them tips on how to be be assertive and dominant with their dog.

I think you should go to the local vet and ask them which trainers in the area they recommend (that's what my vet did, and even recommended great breeders in the area).
BenjiBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!