Thread: peeing in crate
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2005, 04:44 AM   #7
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_sara
She is 6 months now and has the whole crate...its not massive but its a good size. She is in the crate for a couple of hours during the day when no one is home, and in the kitchen/familyroom/hallway when we are home so we can keep an eye on her. She always has her night time pee around 10, and then we go out around 2am to go, and then we wake up at 6 and she goes again. But somewhere in between those times she goes in the crate. And I know she can hold it for more than 4 hours. I just don't get it lol
She is old enough to hold it, you are right. I think that the crate may be too big. You need to make it small enough so all she has room to do is stand, turn and lay down. Don't give her any room to go potty in some corner of the crate. That should help. Also, clean up the urine smells with a neutralizer real good in the crate. I might even replace the old pads or blankets with new ones that haven't been pottied on. I would throw food or doggies snacks (crumbs or otherwise) in the crate, all over. You may even want to smear peanut butter or liver paste on the sides of the crate if it's not a metal crate. Dogs don't like to void where they eat, so if this area becomes a source of food, she may try to hold it better.

She may be pottying because she is stressed out or missing you. I would look at the location of your crate and make sure that it's in the mist of activity, while being in a safe place. If it's a metal crate, put a cover over it, to make her feel safer and more den like.

That's about all the suggestions I can think of right now.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!