View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #4
yorkiepuppie
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sway Says View Post
I took my boy to PetSmart...

They were doing this clicker training stuff... I guess I didn't like it because I'm more old-school.

Instead of the "I'll give you a treat if you do what I ask" method I was hoping I'd get the "Do what I ask, period." method. Not what I got.

I wanted like hands-on ways to prevent misbehavor. The woman who was training was to me a little bit too nice.

But if you like nice! Then it'll be good for you all.

It was great for socialization. Over the course of the weeks we went Harley completely opened up. He went from being scared and shy of other dogs to leading them around and starting all the games.

Unfortunately the only thing we learned was 'sit' and 'down'. The other commands Harley didn't really pick up--but I'm starting to work on them with him again with the help of Job Michael Evan's books and a little more resolve.

Good luck on your training!
most dogs are motivated by food. so i think it's great to be nice and use the "I'll give you a treat if you do what I ask" method, instead of the "Do what I ask, period." method. if that is your approach when you are working with your dog at home, that might be the reason why you are not having as much success.

it would be like a boss telling his workers "Do what I ask, period." method. generally not very effective. no one would show up to work and do what they are told if they weren't getting paid since we are money motivated.

so telling a dog to "Do what I ask, period." is like telling you to go to work and not get paid. that's not going to work out so well.

be generous with healthy treats and be a fair leader. your puppy will do what you ask. period. (and he will be very happy doing it)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!