View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
JenniferLeigh
YT Addict

I understand your frusteration, we have 4 dogs in our household and sometimes its very overwelming. Keeping them exercised makes a huge difference.

I think you need to reestablish yourself as the Alpha of your household, you need to become the leader that influences their actions. Training and consistency is important.
For example when the dogs come inside they ALL wait at the door until the command is given. Everyone in our house makes sure this rule is followed.

As others suggested I would start with basic one on one training. Make sure to get everyone in the household involved so they get the respect of your pack.

There are lots of things you can do to help gain alpha status, and while it might not seem like much, it all makes a difference.

- Cut back the amount of attention the "leaders" get. Alpha dogs are used to being fussed over, you may notice the other dogs licking and touching the leaders. This is a sign of submission. So for now, cut back on their attention, if they pester you for cuddling, don't give in.

- Stand tall and be confident. Use a strong, firm voice.

- No more free rides. No sit? No reward.

- Do you let your dogs in the bed? On the furniture? Until their behavior improves I would deny them both.

- Walk through the door first.

Remember be consistent so they learn what is expected of them. There are tons of articles on the web about being the alpha and becoming the pack leader.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!