View Single Post
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Britster - I totally agree with you except one thing. When walking, the dog's don't literally need to follow. LOL I know this is something that Cesar says and I have no idea why, because it's not true. Being the "leader" means giving them permission. You can teach this using verbal commands, like making them lay down while pouring their kibble and then giving a release word like "OK!" to release them to eat. Teaching things like wait, leave it, off, etc. teaches them you are in command Often people interpret this to mean that you should do things such as walk through doors first, but dogs have no idea what that means. If they know they must have your permission to walk through the door, they know you are in charge.

As far as walking, I agree they should be walked 1 or 2 at a time. Mine do more sniffing and peeing than actual walking, but they come home exhausted even though it wasn't so much exercise as mental stimulation. You can also do puzzle toys (like Kongs, Busy Buddy) for mental stimulation, just be sure to separate them so they don't fight. When walking, work on the command "watch me" which is basically them giving you eye contact. Mine also know "walk" as in stop sniffing and walk! We never did "heel" as Loki prefers to walk out front. Sammy just follows him as best she can, she has short legs! Loki walks on a loose lead, but if both of my dogs walked by my side we would trip over each other When I say watch me, he looks at me - keeping his attention from a passing dog or keeping his distance from me in check.

You really need a good book. Let me look through my bookshelf and I'll give you some recommendations for multiple dog households
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!