View Single Post
Old 05-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretful1953 View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have been reading wonderful stories/posts from other yorkie lovers. My Freddie is 8 1/2 years old and has always been in great health (or so I thought). We had his blood work done prior to a dental cleaning and it came back with elevated liver enzymes, so, needless to say, he couldn't be sedated. His vet put him on Sam-E for a month to see if this would lower his ALT. He has never shown any symptoms of a liver shunt (which the vet said by now I would have noticed) no meds that would have caused the elevation. She said something about Cushing's disease. I've googled as much as I can about this. Anyone with any advice/knowledge about the liver disease in yorkies? We have changed his food from Little Ceaser to homemade. I've read a lot of great recipes but I'm wondering if I should add or subtract any ingredients to his diet that won't affect his liver. Currently we boil chicken, add no-yolk noodles and some white rice. The vet was okay with this, but I'm wondering about some variety and is baby food okay.

I'm at my wits end. We love him sooooo much ( as does anyone that owns a yorkie or any pet). This news obviously explains my screen name,

Thanks for any/all advise anyone can give me.
Have you done a BAT - Serum Bile Acid Test? If not, this is what needs to be done asap. It is a simple fasting blood draw, then the Vet feeds a little food, and draws blood again after 2 hrs. The test is about $80 and you get results in a day or two. This test really shows liver function and can guide you towards Liver Shunt or MVD.

You current home made diet really isn't good. It needs to be balanced with vitamin, minerals, oil, supplements and calcium. If you want to home cook, it is best to consult with a Pet Nutritionist to create a balanced and nutritious diet appropriate for his condition.

Let us know the results of the BAT ? OR let us know the result of what the Vet feels the issue is?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!