View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
Oh Ann, i'm so sorry to hear about Wylie. I hope he just has hypothyroidism and not cushings.

How does his abdomen look and feel? is it bigger or harder?
Is he going to have an ultrasound done so they can measure his adrenal glands? i'm not sure if anything will show in a dog that is just being diagnosed or if it takes a while for a noticeable difference in size.

I think the vet is going to be doing an ACTH Stim blood test. It can be used to diagnose and to monitor cushings that is being delt with by medicating (and addisons which is the opposite of cushings). Its kinda like a bile acid test. Blood is taken as a "resting" sample, then a dose of ACTH is given according to the dogs weight. Two hours after the ACTH is given another blood sample is taken. This is sent out to the lab. I do not remember how long it takes for it to process, i'm sorry.

There is also a Low Dose Dexamethasone Suppression test they may possibly do. Since you mentioned he has to stay 8 hours i think this is what they may be doing. A pre test blood sample is taken. Then a dose of Dexamethasone is given. 4 and 8 hours later, more blood samples are taken. These are all sent to the lab and again, i'm sorry i do not remember how long these tests take to get back.
I'm glad you saw this, Kellie .

Oddly, he doesn't have "pot belly" - but I have thought for months that he feels more boney and has lost muscle mass -- but his weight is pretty much the same. So, it "feels" like a redistribution of muscle mass - which would make one think more cushingoid. He has terrible polydipsia and polyuria, which worries me more about Cushing's. He does have an increased appetite - but since I feed 2x day - he can't really overeat. He has so many signs of Cushing's...

...but then again, I have to say that he has ALL of his usual tons-of-energy, is not lethargic at all (although his duration of fetching is a bit shorter - he tires a little quicker and I have noticed this). He definitely has the skin and fur issues that come w/ Cushings...although these could also be just from hypothryoid.

I'm not totally sure which test they'll do, but I'm kind of assuming after reading my eyes out that they'll do that 8hr test (and the Derm also mentioned that test) -- and then if they do feel it's Adrenal (please no...), then I'm guessing they'd want to do an US to see if it's operable...and we'd also have to figure out if it's benign or malignant.

Even though adrenal is somewhat worse in terms of prognosis, at least it may be operable. But the operation is said to be "extremely complicated" -- so that's scary.

This might be just hypothyroid though....my hubby keeps telling me to focus on it being only that...but you know how worried you get and you think the worst...

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!