View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #9
megansmomma
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlDebra View Post
Ah, he really does look scared. His ears have been tipped so someone has had him groomed. He is probably used to being a part of someone's family. I wonder what sad story brought him to the animal control? Poor baby! If you can help him, that would be wonderful. I do hope someone will provide him a good home. I am surprised he got advertised. Most shelters have a waiting list for small dogs, like a Yorkie, especially if they look purebred.
I have to say that depends on the area that you live. In plenty of states yorkies are PTS all the time due to space. Texas has a huge problem with yorkies in kill shelters and every day they are PTS because there are just not enough foster homes to take them all in and to safety. You cannot assume that any dog regardless of their size is safe and will be adopted in a shelter. Personally, I wish there were foster homes in the MD area because this shelter comes up on here quite ofter. They have yorkies there all the time and YHR has no members in that area to help them. A few months back there were 3 there at one time. One was reunited with its family, one had pancreatitis and died from lack of treatment and the other we were all trying to find a rescue in the area to help. She was badly injured and needed eye enuculation because she had a ruptured eyeball. Finally All Breed Rescue was able to step in and pick her up, get her the treatment that she needed and she in now in a new home. There must be a mill in that area because they show up in this particular shelter on a regular basis.

Please never assume that a yorkie that is in a shelter will be easily adopted and that there are waiting lists because that just is not always the care. I have to say that here in suburban Chicago NO thankfully cannot find a yorkie in a shelter ever and if by chance you do they are always gone in a heart beat.

So if anyone that is reading this has the ability to foster in this area or any other area of the country PLEASE consider volunteering to be a foster mom. There are yorkies dying in shelters every day.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!