View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
Rayanne
Yorkie Yakker

Sad Thinning hair and dry skin...

my poor little guy has been very slowly getting thinner hair, his whole back side (tip of tail, and the back of his back legs) are practically bald. he also has very dry skin, to the point where it is flaking. and the back of his ears are bald and leathery, his whole body just doesn't have the amount of hair it should have. i am very concerned about him. we brought him into the vet on monday the 20th, they took blood tests and thought maybe it had something to do with his thyroid gland, which would have been ok cause it could have been treated and his hair would grow back and his skin would moisten, if not the thyroid gland then something to do with his sex hormones, which they won't be able to treat. and contrary to what i was hoping, the blood test came back showing that his thyroid was normal. it cost $165.00 for this first test, and to get him tested for the sex hormone will be around $500.00. i am going to start saving so that i can have this test done, and i will know for sure if it is this sex hormone, or if the vet was wrong and it's something else. i want to get to the bottom of this, cause i just feel so bad for my little Brody.

what i was wondering is if anyone knows anything i can supplement him to hydrate his skin for the time being until i can get this test done. or if anyone knows anything that might help thicken hair. his hair is probly just over 2 inches long and i usually shave my dogs down to about 1/2 an inch for the summer, but am not going to with Brody cause i don't want to risk him getting sunburned.

i can put up pictures of his bad areas when my husband gets home, he has our cell phone, i can email myself the pics from it.

anybody have any advice?

thanks so much!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!