View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
I Miss Shelby
YT Addict

I second the advice to see a vet cardiologist.
My story: Scooter was 9 weeks old when we got him. We took hin to the vet for his checkup the next day and it was discovered that he had a heart murmur: vet said he might out grow it with time "let's see in a few weeks". Well the murmur got worse and we saw a vet cardiologist who did a cardiac ultrasound (cardiac echo with color flow) . It showed PDA (patent ductus arteriosis) when the pulmonary artery and the aorta did not separate connection at birth. They said without surgery he would go into CHF in time and not likely last more than a few months.

He was placed on lasix to decrease the potential for lung backup and a most wonderful vet surgeon performed surgery on Scooter a week later.
Immediately post-op he had a normal sounding/beating heart even though it was still alittle enlarged.

Three months post-op his heart size was almost normal but functioning perferctly. The cardiologist said "if he wouldn't have had the surgery he would be buried in your back yard by now".

I'm so thankful we gave Scooter a chance to live and I thank God for leading me to YT where i first heard that were even such things as cardiac vets. My refular vet never even mentioned this as an option at first.

Scooter turned one yr old last January and he is full of energy. It was money well spent.
Please seek out a vet cardiologist. At least find out what the cause of the CHF is and what your options are. There may be different causes of the CHF in a puppy. Don't just treat the symptoms of CHF, try to find out the cause as it might be something that can be reversed.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!