View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 AM   #1
AshasMom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Please be careful with all medications! Long post, sorry

Yesterday started off as being a really good day. The babies were doing great, and I was excited to get to celebrate Barney's first birthday. I had laid out 3 Ibuprofen tablets on my kitchen counter for my 12 year old to take because she has a sore throat. I went grocery shopping, came home, saw the Ibuprofen still sitting on the counter, set my bags down and began putting the groceries away, turned back and realized 2 of the tablets were gone. Looked down just in time to see Barney chewing on something and he swallowed it. My heart sank. I knew immediately that he had ate them. I grabbed the Hydrogen Peroxide and forced it in him to male him throw up. He did throw up some, but within 15 min, began to get very drunk and wobbly. I grabbed him up and my daughter drove us to the vet which was 10 min away. By the time we got there, he couldnt even stand. The vet felt that the Ibuprofen had gone through his system very quickly and at that point, there was no antidote. Only supportive measures. He immediately started him on IVs and medication to prevent stomach bleeding. He said all that could be done was to monitor him and see how he was in the next 12 hours. 2 hours later, he was on his feet and looking at the vet.
I am VERY happy to say that Barney is coming home this morning, and according to the vet, will probably not have any lasting effects considering he got treatment so quickly. This will truly be a very special birthday, and as I type this, I have tears of joy knowing the outcome could have been very tragic.
I am posting this as a warning...PLEASE, PLEASE do not leave any loose medications out and be very careful of what could end up on the floor. They grab things so quickly!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!