View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikitta34 View Post
Hmmm... lots to think about.

Thank you for your replies, everyone! I am still not sure what I'm going to do... I keep thinking, "What would I put on my children?" (This is hypothetical since I don't have children.) Can a human being get heartworm from being bitten, or do we have certain antibodies that fight off the parasite?

Here's another question... how hard is it to get rid of heartworm once a dog has it? Meg gets tested for it at least 2x/year. Frankly, I'd rather test her for it 6x/year than put her on the medication. If it's caught early enough, it is very treatable, correct?

Am I crazy to think of doing that? Get her blood drawn every 2 months instead of pumping her full of medication... Then obviously if she was to get them, I'd have to put her on medication to get rid of them, but.... what are the chances she will ever get it?
I've heard that heartworm treatment is similar to chemo- it just takes it out of them- not worth the risk if you ask me. I, like many others, HATE giving heart worm meds.... but i'd die if anything ever happened to Layla because i neglected to give her something she needs...this year we are using interceptor- it is just heartworm.. no flea or tick meds in it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!