View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Amanda7
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurray View Post
I've had my baby for about 2 months he's about 41/2 months old.For potty training he is kept on potty pads in the bathroomwhile we are at work and kids at school.He usually goes on them. Then while home we take him out pretty consistently and use praise and treats to encourage outside potty. He doesn't let us know when he has to go we just have to take out alot.I try not to let him out of my sight but accidents happen . when can I expect to see progress? I've never had an inside dog.
You sound like you are doing everything right. When I was potty training, I would take them out every hour and if they wouldn't go, I would wait ten mins, and try again. Consistency, praise and rewards are the key. (and loads of patience!).

As far as progress, a dog trainer told me once that puppies cannot control their bodily functions until 6 mos. of age. I did see a change around 6 mos., (especially after they were neutered), and it gradually improved from there. By 9 mos. of age, both of my boys were potty trained. (But I still took them out very frequently).

Hang in there, it gets better!

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.
Amanda7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!