View Single Post
Old 04-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #7
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyV View Post
Nosodes don't work. I know people that have tried and failed.

I'd stick with the "traditional" heartworm medications.... Most of the oral HW meds aren't like the topicals that stay in their system. The oral tablets are metabolized out of their system in a few days. (I'm not sure about Sentinel though, due to the added flea prevention) Personally I'd rather give them the pill than risk them getting heartworms and needing the treatment...
If you're concerned about the drug, you could give them some sort of product for a few days after to help their liver out (Milk Thistle or Animals' Apawthecary Detox Blend)
FWIW, I prefer Interceptor.

As far as flea/tick prevention... I've never once used Frontline, Advantage, Sentinel, etc etc, and none of my kids have ever had a single flea.
Granted, I live in the city and other than an occasional rabbit in our yard, they have no way of getting them.
I've used essential oils similar to the blend you posted when we've gone into areas I know there's a possibility of fleas/ticks, and so far it seems to have worked. I mixed mine in a spray bottle of water with a tad bit of soap to help make the oils mix. Shake before spraying.... Be careful when applying oils directly to skin. I've seen some reactions if they're too strong.

You could try the oil blend.... If you get fleas anyway, well, then you'll know you need something stronger.

Natural products may help keep mosquitoes away but if one that is infected does bite, then there is a problem. I know all the chemicals are scary and I hate using them too but I have decided that it is in Ellie's best interest to take something that has been proven effective.

For fleas, I think there is a bit more room for experimenting but just remember that natural isn't always safe. Arsenic is natural and it is very toxic whereas water is a sort of chemical and we have to have it.

Two common things I'd prefer to stay away from in treating fleas are garlic and tea tree oil. The essential oils can cause reactions to at the doses that they are given in.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!