View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
amandawash
Lovin' my R & R
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieLove77 View Post
I've been reading some really positive experiences with the raw diet, and I'm leaning towards it for my JoJo, as his health and well-being are very important to me. However, I do have some questions first for those who know. (the food I'm considering is the Nature's Variety medallions.)

1. Can I feed him only the medallions, or does he still need kibble as well?
No, the pre-made raw is a complete diet. Kibble is not necessary, but many (myself included) choose to either leave it down at all times so they can have some here and there if they get hungry, or feed kibble for one meal of the day.

2. Based on his eating habits, I've recently started feeding him only twice a day, as opposed to 3 times, and it's worked out for the better. With the raw diet, can I still feed him just the twice a day?
Yup. Twice a day is just fine, so long as he's past the hypoglycemia phase.

3. Does it have to remain refrigerated until serving? Occasionally he goes to doggy daycare and I pack a lunch or dinner for him. This way if it is required to remain refrigerated, I can ask the facility if they have a fridge or I can put it in a small insulated bag.
Absolutely. You must treat it exactly as you would your own lunch or dinner. It must stay frozen or can last thawed and refrigerated for a few days. This is the reason I choose to feed kibble for breakfast- if we are going to be out and about for the whole day I just pack some kibble and use that for dinner if they get hungry

4. What about treats? What do you raw feeders recommend?
I feed YORKIE YUMMIES (YUM YUM), Zuke's Mini Naturals and Wellness treats. A friend recently sent us some Stella and Chewy's freeze dried meat treats and they LOVE those!!

One of my main concerns is to regulate and firm up his stools (he had a problem with diarrhea in the past, and although it's gotten better, he still has loose stools every now and then, and the firm ones are pretty big for some reason, even though he doesn't eat much). And I'm hoping that by switching to raw, it'll help alleviate that problem and also just for his overall health. Also, if anyone would like to share any other benefits of a raw diet, that would be great!
I am a little concerned about starting your pup on raw if he has GI problems going on. I am a big believer in raw, but do not believe it is for every dog. Feeding raw to a dog with a compromised immune system is a bad idea. If your guy has been fully checked out clean by a vet and hasn't any symptoms at this time, you could try and see how it goes.
Thanks a bunch!
Hope that helped you a bit!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!