View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
Nikitta34
YT 500 Club Member

Icon2 Question for Natural Moms: Heartguard? Frontline?

This question is for all of you natural-types out there. I am 100% not a fan of dosing Meg up with chemicals or putting poisons on her back, but this is what my vet recommends. I want to get your opinion and see you've done that works (or hasn't worked).

Meg is 6 months old and 3.8 lbs. Her vet says I need to put her on heartworm and flea preventatives. Are both of these truly essential? Apparently the fleas get pretty bad here in Korea, and the mosquitoes are bad, too.

Right now I am planning to put her on the heartworm medication (Heartguard, I think?) and use a natural remedy for the fleas. I want to try the following recipe, which I found on another post.

So what has worked for you? Are certain heartworm medications better than others? Does anyone out there not use heartworm medication, or is that asking for trouble? Is there a natural alternative? And should I just put her on Frontline so I don't end up with fleas in the house? I keep hearing about how horrible the fleas are here. Thanks in advance for your help!!
Flea be Gone!

* Peppermint Oil
* Cinnamon Leaf (not Cinnamon Bark) Oil
* Lemon Grass Oil
* Clove Oil
* Thyme Oil
* A carrier oil, such as sweet almond, neem or jojoba

In a small jar fitter with an eye dropper lid, add 15mLs (1/2 oz) of a carrier oil, one drop each of Thyme, Cinnamon Leaf and Clove, and four drops each of Peppermint and Lemon Grass. Shake well before applying drops to your dog's neck and back, parting your dog's hair so that the solution is applied to the skin. Use five drops per ten lbs of body weight. Do not apply to puppies under 12 weeks of age. Apply as frequently as every two weeks. Alternately, six drops of Geranium, four drops of Peppermint, and two drops of Lavender in 15 mLs of a carrier oil can also be used to effectively repel fleas and ticks.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!