View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
LittleLolaBear
Yorkie Yakker

Lola had this problem for a while, and it drove me insane. I would tell her "no" and she'd just stare at me and yip yip yip some more. She never barked at noises, only when she wanted attention or didn't get what she wanted; usually this was to be taken out of her crate, carseat, playpen, or some other thing that separated me from her.

The only thing that FINALLY worked was a spray bottle. When I first started using it she thought it was a game (I had it on mist... big mistake... make sure it's set to stream!), but when she would start barking excessively I would squirt her right in the chest once or twice. Eventually she learned that when I reached for the spray bottle I meant business, and she doesn't bark like that anymore, thank goodness. She only barks now when we're playing, which is fine with me!

The key is to make them associate something negative with the barking. For her, ignoring her wasn't enough, she needed a physical negative thing to get her to stop.

Give it a shot! Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!