View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
Hard to tell at this age but he has a nice top line. I agree you need to keep the tips of his ears trimmed. He's going to be up on leg it looks like but I don't mind that. What is his pedigree? Who's his parents, grandparents? Did his breeders sell him as a show prospect? Is the breeder a co-owner? What kind of contract? All depends on yours and the breeders intention with him. Was the parents health tested? Free of genetic defects? Did the breeder sell with full registration intented for show? Lots of things to consider when getting a show dog....

You did ask LOL

Donna Bird
Brooklynn's Yorkshire Terriers
Donna, I had the same questions running through my mind.
And of course the first thing I noticed were his ears. Please get the ear hair trimmed. Do you know how much to trim?? Do Not do the whole ear. Read up on how to do it correctly.
I am surprised that the show breeder you got him from sold him with hair on his ears. Do they have any champions themselves??

Don't worry though. You have to start somewhere. And he may be alright. With yorkies - you have to wait so long to see. You should have seen the girl I started with in the 80's. I loved her sooo much. But it was great practice and it allowed to be get to know real show breeders and learn from them. I kept improving with every dog I got.
His coat looks like it will be silky. But get those ears trimmed! They will look smaller if you do. Just be sure to do it the correct way.
Also I noticed he has a collar on. I do not have my dogs wear collars. It can rub hair off their and for showing - you need the hair there. Plus neck collars are not that safe.
T.

Last edited by topknot; 04-21-2009 at 04:20 PM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!