View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I use to think that papers weren't important, until I learned a little more. I've found that better breeders give papers to legitimate registries. Many breeders will tell you that the breeding pair is registered with the AKC, but in truth, if you try to register the puppies, you will find that they aren't eligible for registration, because the breeding pair did not have rights. Most good breeders sell their dogs with limited registration, which means no breeding rights, but unscrupulous people take them and breed them anyway, and either sell them by misleading the public and saying that they could be registered but it will cost more, and it is a waste of money, or they sign up with one of the alternative registries, that will register anything. By the way, it isn't expensive to register your pups with the AKC, only about $20.00, most people don't do it because they are not eligible. I really believe that the AKC is attempting to improve kennel conditions, and they are the only registry that does routine unannounced kennel inspections. Your registry fee helps to cover the cost of inspection, plus many other great programs the AKC has. I think you should do everything possible to support the better breeders, you will save yourself a lot of heartache and money in the long run.

Join today and remove this ad!