View Single Post
Old 04-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Shelby&Seymour
"& Seeger, too"
Donating Member

I guess my first question would be WHY? Is it the extra $$ ?

I am NOT a breeder and definitely have a LONG way to go if I would want to be one. But After doing my homework (and learning from experience), & owning Yorkies for 5 years, I would consider a good breeder one that searches Yorkie bloodlines, knows ALL the aspects of the breed, and strives to get good quality dogs without genetic issues. Although I am sure there is some money to be made, there is also a LOT spent. Vet costs for ultrasounds, possible c-sections, genetic testing, etc. I really don't think it should be about money at all.
I do think that you should try to attend some dog shows. You will be able to meet people and see what a conformation Yorkie winner looks like. There are some breeders that would be glad to talk to you. (of course there are a few that wouldn't "stoop" to talk to you....... I have found that out, too.... but it is their loss..... and the breeds loss IMO) There are some very good breeders here on YT ...... some that have taken dogs all the way to the Westminster. I would read their threads. You may get more information on what it takes to be a good breeder from reading the breeder threads
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!