Thread: Puppy Baths?
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
FlDebra
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfgkl View Post
I dont' believe in frequent bathings. Is your puppy strictly inside? If so, she isn't even dirty from going out, so why bathe her so much? When you bahte a dog too much, you're washing out the natural oils. My 2 outside dogs are almost 4 years and 3 years, the one that's almost 3(german shepherd) has never had a bath period. She has got beautiful shiny hair(she's a long haired gsd) and the golden has had one bath when she was my sons dog, she also has beautiful shiny hair. Mine are pretty much strictly inside dogs, I do let them out to play once in awhiel on a nice day, but, they get about 3-4 baths a year. They all also have beautiful hair, well, except my yorkie, but, she's having a problem with allergies right now and it seems to be affecting the hair.
Wow! You only bathe yours 3-4 times a year? I don't know how you get by with that when they have long hair. Ben stinks if he goes 2 weeks. I use baby wipes on his face, chin, and privates but he still needs a bath every 1-2 weeks. Now, my Jack Russell is a super clean dog and she never smells or looks like she needs a bath but I give her one every so often anyway. I guess it all depends how much personal grooming the dog does on its own too. Maybe your dogs are just really good at their own grooming. Daily brushing helps too.

But for puppies .... I have 5 right now (7 weeks old). The experienced breeders suggested that I not bathe them until they were ready to go to new homes -- 12 weeks. I tried, but I just cannot do it. They are stinky little things, always making messes and getting in them. So, I am not submerging them but using a wet washcloth to thoroughly clean them every other day and baby wipes in between. They need it believe me. I like to love on them a lot and I don't want them smelly plus with 5 of them, I don't want the house to get smelly. They don't shake if you don't completely soak their skin. Just use the washcloth to clean the hair, paws, and private areas. I am keeping the house warmer while they are young too and use the blow dryer if I get them too wet.
FlDebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!