View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmomof3boys View Post
My sweet Daisy started having seizures in November 2008. My vet recommended phenobarbital. After some research I tried a wheat free, gluten free diet but she still had seizures that seemed to last longer and increase in intensity. By mid December I conceded and started Daisy on pheno. She still has on an average 2 seizures a month. The seizures are longer and more intense. She thrashes about, foams at the mouth, urinates on herself and sometimes she staggers or loses use of her back end. It is frightening. I have to believe that without medication it would be worse. Her dosage has been increase to 2ml twice a day. We go to do bloodwork tomorrow to see if this is the right dosage for her.
Good luck!
Oh, dear. Two seizures a month is very dangerous. Has your vet discussed adding another medication like potassium bromide (KBr)? Lady has been on both for years to control her seizures. Before KBr, her seizures got so bad she would have cluster seizures for a day. On both medications she has maybe one seizure a year.

Here is some information on potassium bromide:

Canine Epilepsy-Using Potassium Bromide to control seizures in dogs

I assume a liver shunt was ruled out?
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!