View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
cutieusagi
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019

I'm in a similar situation... except Teddi has been trained to go outside to pee/poo. At first we would take him outside every 1-2 hours to let him pee. When he does we'd say "Good boy!" like he just gave us the best gift ever! The intervals became longer as he got older (e.g. 3-4 hours) but we continued with the "Good boy!" praise. Even now when I only have to take him out every 4+ hours (he's 9 months old), I still say "Good boy!". I do this as well when he poos... My bf doesn't praise him as much as I do, so now most of the time Teddi doesn't poo unless I'm the one taking him out.

He did have some accidents in the house though. Luckily I was able to catch him in the act, so scolding him then was effective (stomping my foot and shouting "Bad boy!" in an angry voice). I think he got the message pretty quickly. Going in the house = "Bad boy!" with an angry voice VS going outside the house = "Good boy!" with a happy voice... the latter is definitely better! Although I must admit that I would occasionally get so annoyed when I discovered pee on the carpet that I would still scold him... but then I'd remember that there's no point and would cool down immediately.

Now he can hold it in for 9 hours while we're away at work. As soon as we get home the first thing he does is run like a rocket towards the door to go outside and do his thing. However, I don't think it's really healthy to hold pee for that long so I've been trying to train him to go on the pee pad/newspaper as well. Interestingly enough, he starts dribbling out pee when we get home and not take him out asap... So I started to take advantage of that and would put him on the pee pad. When he pees, even if it's just a few drops, I'd say, "Good boy!" He never finishes though and after 30+ minutes I end up taking him outside to finish peeing.

I just started two days ago so it might take a while. I'm going to try giving him treats and see if that'll work. I'm just afraid though that he'll think it's ok now to pee inside the house, even though I'm only teaching him to use the pee pad. Oh well, we'll just see how it goes!

Last edited by cutieusagi; 04-17-2009 at 01:59 PM.
cutieusagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!