View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

Congrats, your training will get loads easier from now on. I clicker trained Cash and will clicker train June too bc it works so well.
Before you start: Have small pieces of a palatable treat on hand, preferably one that your dog likes otherwise he won't work for it.
Start the training in a quiet, distraction-free place.
Important notes: Never use the clicker to get a dog's attention - it is tempting, but NEVER!
If you click, you must treat. Always. Even if the click was a mistake, you still have to treat.
Keep the clicker away from anyone who might abuse it or mistakenly use it.

Starting: To condition the doggie to the clicker, you need to click and treat repeatedly and for no real reason (the dog hasn't done anything yet, you simply want him to realize that when he hears that click, he gets a great treat). Try about 5 sessions (couple of minutes each) where you just click and treat. The dog understands as soon as he is expecting a treat.

Now, to start training: When your dog does what you want it to, like 'sit', you click at the exact moment after it. Timing is very important (but don't worry, it is difficult in the beginning, but you will be a pro soon enough). As soon as you have clicked, you treat.

To teach cool tricks, try to determine if your dog does something naturally that can be turned into a trick. For example, I taught Cash to 'lie down' by simply clicking when he did it. He immediately realized that what he had just done, had earned him a treat. So, he did it again and again and soon I could put a command with it.

Otherwise, you can lead your dog to do something by using a treat and having him follow it (I used this method to teach Cash to roll over). It is a lot easier when it is a natural action for the dog.

Phew, sorry for the long post. Check out anything written by Karen Pryor (the pioneer of clicker training). And let me know if you need more help.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!