View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
4doggiemama
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default EPI-Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

I would like to know if there is anyone out there whose furbaby has been diagnosed with this disease and what approach has been the most successful. For those of you who don't know what EPI is....it is where the pancreas is not producing enzymes to digest food. Your dog is literally starving in front of your eyes despite the fact that their appetite is normal. My 10 yr. old Yorkie, Cocoa, has been diagnosed with EPI after extensive testing at K-State. My local vet had been leaning towards that direction but K-State confirmed it. Treatment: digestive enzymes-Pancrezyme, Vit. B-12 shots, and the antibiotic-Tylan. Cocoa is down to 2.5 lbs. and literally looks like she is dying from starvation. My vet, today wants her on a vitamin/mineral supplement and sent home Nutri-Cal with me rather than the actual vitamin/mineral pill/liquid. From the research I have done on the net a low-fat, low-carb, easily digestible food is suggested for EPI. The K-State vet said that there isn't any proof to that suggestion. My vet thought that it would be advantageous to keep the carbs to a minimum since they are not easily digestible. I am super worried about Cocoa. During her gallbladder surgery 3 mo. checkup, someone put her good hip out during an x-ray. Surgery was required to repair the damage. I am worried that her body will not be able to heal the incision. She is walking on her leg to go pee/poo, but it scares me to death. Any suggestion would be very much appreciated. ~Joanne~
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!