View Single Post
Old 04-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

Jackson, my Yorkie, is FINE with cameras.

This is actually a problem relating to my moms cocker spaniel/poodle mix.

She's almost 4 years old and is absolutely terrified of cameras. It is the strangest thing. She's never had any traumatizing moments with them, as far as I know, but the minute she sees anything resembling a camera (even before it flashes or anything) she freaks out and will run into another room. All I have to do is take my cell phone, point it in her direction, and she's OFF! I mean, I've heard of dogs not liking getting their pic taken but never heard of a dog that will run into another room at the pure sight of a camera (or anything that resembles a camera....) I can't even video tape her without her freaking out, putting her tail between her legs, and running off. She came from a pet store but they got her at 8 weeks of age, she's almost 4 now and as far back as I remember has had this issue. I don't know if her fear is from being a puppy mill dog or what. I literally have like 3 good pictures of her from the last 4 yrs and about 50,000 of Jackson in the last four months!! lmao
There was an eppy on "It's Me or the Dog" about a dog with a camera phobia, so she's not alone. I guess it can be a little scary for some dogs because a camera hides your face. She might also be scared of the "click" or the flash.

They used standard de-sensitization techniques for her. They put a camera on the floor and let her sniff it; then they would treat her for acting calmly around the camera. Then they would take pictures near her, but not at her (no flash). Then they took pictures of her with lavish praise and treats after. Not sure if they ever got to flash photography, but you get the idea.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!