View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 AM   #1
Critter
YT Addict

Default when is it ok to growl at one another

I have two dogs, Samson who is almost 11 months old and Harley who is just 4 months old. Samson just has this calm, sweet, loving personality. Harley is more spirited, dominate, sometimes aggressive personality (although he has the face of an angel and can be sweet to us but not Samson). They do have periods of getting along but when Samson has a toy Harley must have it and he is very dominate when attempting to get it. I thought getting two of everything would help but no Harley has to have whatever is in Samson’s mouth. Harley is also very vocal, compared to Sam, and he growls and barks at Sam to get what he wants. when I am with them I am consistent in not allowing this to happen but then Harley will stop and then goes and pushes his butt up against Sam's face (I guess to show his dominance). the growling sounds more aggressive than playful (my parents dog and Sam growl at each other but you can tell they are playing, I can't tell that with Harley). I am at a standstill with how to break Harley of his dominance, growling, somewhat aggressive behavior. I have tried all the things I have read about and seen on this board, he just has such a tenacious personality he just doesn't know when to stop. It can be exhausting constantly being on top of this behavior. My DH said they are just being dogs and it’s ok for them to growl and fight over the toy but this just seems more aggressive and I am not so sure. It took me a while to bond with and love Harley but I truly know this dog brings other positive things to my live but I need help stopping this behavior before Harley becomes a Cesar Millian candidate. Help I need some creative suggestions for how to correct this.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!