View Single Post
Old 04-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #3
slcsgh
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Ellie View Post
The first thing for you to do is to treat her when she goes potty outside...do it right then not when you get back inside! Normally a "Good girl!"...or..."Good potty!" will be enough. Give her a codeword...like potty...so when you take her out she know what you want her to do when you say "Go potty" She will associate "potty" with weeing and pooing and know that when she does this it makes you happy!

To get her to go to the door, try using a bell. Hang a large bell to your door and everytime you take her to potty, take her out of that door and shake the bell. Once she gets the hang of this whole going out to potty thing she will learn to ring the bell (hitting it with her nose or pawing at it) to alert you that she needs to potty. I have rubbed a small bit of peanut butter on it to teach / treat them for ringing the bell. They even sell "doggie doorbells" for this type of training.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Thank you so much, Yeah ill def start giving treats outside. Thank you, I had been waiting till i got inside. Door bell is a great idea I was wondering, how i would know when she is at the door
slcsgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!