View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #5
WalnutHill
♥ Catherine My Love ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieShadow View Post
Its really against the law to let any animal go from its mother before 8 weeks.
I agree with the others have nutri cal on hand. Good luck with your little one.
Thanks for reminding me that it's illegal, not just completely unethical.

In Virginia, puppies have to be 7 weeks old before they can be legally offered for sale, here's an exerpt from the Virginia Statute:

§ 3.2-6510. Sale of unweaned or certain immature animals prohibited, vaccinations required for dogs and cats; penalty

A. No person shall sell, raffle, give away, or offer for sale as pets or novelties, or offer or give as a prize, premium, or advertising device any living chicks, ducklings, or other fowl under two months old in quantities of less than six or any unweaned mammalian companion animal or any dog or cat under the age of seven weeks without its dam or queen. Dealers may offer immature fowl, unweaned mammalian companion animals, dogs or cats under the age of seven weeks for sale as pets or novelties with the requirement that prospective owners take possession of the animals only after fowl have reached two months of age, mammalian companion animals have been weaned, and dogs and cats are at least seven weeks of age. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the sale, gift, or transfer of an unweaned animal: (i) as food for other animals; (ii) with the lactating dam or queen or a lactating surrogate dam or queen that has accepted the animal; (iii) due to a concern for the health or safety of the unweaned animal; or (iv) to animal control, an animal shelter, or a veterinarian.

AND

C. A violation of this section is a Class 3 misdemeanor.

Last edited by WalnutHill; 04-07-2009 at 09:33 PM. Reason: added bold
WalnutHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!