View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
lil fu fu girl
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbys_mom View Post
The recommended amount is actually alot. Ive been giving him less than the recommended and he still gained the weight. The thing is that I work 12 hour shifts 3 days a week and he is locked in his kennel for safety reasons( he terrorizes wood, carpet etc) Maybe he just needs more excercise. I dont know I hate to change his food. I would usually feed half in the AM and half in the PM. Maybe I should just feed in the evening since he is locked up in the day time. That way he can run it off playing in the evening?
There is your answer right there.
Being confined for long periods of time, consistently is not good for their metabolism.
Yours, and their metabolism is a machine in itself that is created by your activity level.
Do not lower his food intake, that will not help him lose weight.
All that will do is tell his metabolism that there is not enough food to maintain him, so now he will have to store more, which is done by fat deposits.
Get him outside for a walk or play everyday. He is no longer a puppy, so put him on another version of his favorite food that reflects what year of life he is in.
Also, try to get him accostomed to your house now.
Get him out of the kennel and inside your house as much as possible.
The quicker he learns the rules of the house, the quicker he can spend his days out of the kennel and with the family.
My 16 week old is never kenneled at all. When we go for long periods,
over 6 hours he is gated off with an xpen that allows him free roam of the living and kitchen. There are no wires or temptations within the barrier.

Try the increased physical activity, and his puppy fat will come off.
Best of luck
lil fu fu girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!