View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I don't agree with that breed description at all. I really think it's all down to how you train them (and how you train your children! LOL) My Jackson is around a 14 month every day where we live and absolutely adores her. (She's always dropping her food from her high chair, so that may be why he loves her so much! lol) But he's always trying to play with her, when she wakes up from naps, he immediately goes and gives her kisses and love. She has even gotten close to him while he is chewing his bones and toys, and he could care less. (I would never leave them in the same room alone just in case) but he has been absolutely awesome with her.

He is also constantly around a 5 year old boy who he loves so so much! He has never growled, bitten, snipped, anything at any child. He's 6 months old. I've just been teaching him what is wrong and right. I make sure the kids are good with him as well. He's gone to a few little league ball games for my little cousins and actually prefers to go over to the children than the adults. Granted, he IS a bigger Yorkie, weighing in at 13 pounds. So he can be "roughed" around a little more. But I think ANY dog, given the chance and proper training and socialization, can be great with kids. Or at least tolerate them

I think the reason a lot of Rescue groups will not place with small children is simply because of most Yorkies sizes. Tiny dogs can get hurt easier and it just happens.

Yet, they ARE known to be non-friendly dogs with children. I'm not sure why. Maybe my dog is the oddball of the breed, who knows.

Last edited by Britster; 04-06-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!