View Single Post
Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #10
Hooks_Yorkie
No Longer a Member

The way that your daughter is acting, then I believe it would be unwise to force her to deal with the incident. I do a lot of work with victims of sexual assault and the emotional strength that it takes for them to finally open up to an individual is already exhausting so being forced to confront it when she is not ready could create an even more negative impact.

I really wouldn't focus on getting her to go to the police. The reaction of others around her and everyone calling her a "slut" means that it would largely come to a situation of "He-said-She-Said", which carries another can of worms.

She already made the step to come to you and talk to you about it which is a huge step for her and it was in 2 months. Get her to talk to you more and don't focus on the reporting aspect of it at the beginning and get her to understand that it isn't her fault and talk to her about what she feels and what she wants to do.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not force her to do something that she is unwilling to do. She is telling you right now that she does not want to go to the police. I will be completely honest and I have seen it from many different occasions that the police and the experience of it can be liberating for many victims, but it a tough experience and she will need your reassurance during that time but if you force her then she could grow to resent you and lash out.

I know that your first instinct is to get justice, but that justice is never as perfect as you want it to be. Best of luck to you and your daughter.
Hooks_Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!