View Single Post
Old 10-13-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
schatzie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxson
Our little pup, J Crew, has been limping and favoring his right rear leg for a few weeks. It seemed to be getting worse so we took him to the vet. The first doctor we saw put him on medication and said wait a couple weeks. The second doctor we went to took x-rays and determined that he had Legg-Perthes disease. I saw the x-ray, the right hip joint looks pretty bad. The doctor explained that he will need surgery in the future. He described the process as cutting the ball and neck off of the femur. There is no joint put back in its place. He indicated that the muscles hold the bone in place. This sounds strange to me, but he said it is very common.

Has anyone went through this? Yes Schatzie and some other member's fur babies

Do they make a full recovery? Yes, Schatzie made 100% recovery

When should it be done the sooner the better? Yes, your Yorkie is in pain. You can clearly see this by limping. Imagine your joint being jagged and seperated.

What compications can arise? Schatzie might have arthritis in her older years.

A little more info on J Crew he is seven months old and weighs 4.6 lbs (just weighed today at the vet)

Thanks,
I am sorry you have been given this information about your J Crew. But...be rest assured he will be okay after surgery.

My Schatzie was diagnosed with this also and she had surgery. It has not been a quite a year since her surgery and she does favor her leg every once in a while.

The surgery was very easy and I got to take her home the same day. They shaved her entire hip and leg area. Yes, it took a very long time for the hair to grow back, lol.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!